ARCHIVE: Eggs and poultry research
This page aims to provide information on research and development in eggs and poultry.
- Eggs and poultry R&D
- ADAS contract
- LINK Programme - Sustainable livestock production
- Livestock Knowledge Transfer
- British Egg Marketing Board
- Other eggs and poultry R&D links
Please note that the contacts listed below are not the responsibility of Defra and we can therefore take no responsibility for their content or views expressed therein. Please email us with any changes, or additions you would like to see.
We operate an eggs and poultry R&D programme which aims to improve the efficiency of poultry production, maximising the genetic potential of modern breeds and reducing losses due to inefficient feed utilisation. The programme also includes research on the development of new technologies for integrated management systems. The research is primarily driven by a need - with the reduction of pollutants in mind - to move away from the use of animal proteins in feed and to utilise home grown sources of proteins.
We currently have an annual budget for commissioning ad hoc studies and research from ADAS. Reports relate to eggs and poultry, including the marketing aspects and economic viability of these commodities. Research is also commissioned to develop systems to assist the Egg Marketing Inspectorate with their enforcement role.
Most studies and research contain commercially confidential information and are for internal purposes only. However, we will consider commissioning studies that will assist the UK egg and poultry industry and publish these where appropriate.
ADAS research projects
- The UK Turkey and Geese production industry: a short study (PDF 200 KB) February 2007
- Poultry legislation factsheet (PDF 50 KB) March 2006 - detailing current key legislation relating to poultry production in England and Wales
- The UK game bird Industry - a short study (PDF 70 KB) September 2005 - following the outbreak of Newcastle Disease during July 2005.
- Utilisation of egg shell waste from UK egg processing and hatchery establishments (PDF 50 KB) May 2002 - detailing the problems associated with the disposal of egg shells and hatchery waste for the UK industry
You can email suggestions for future studies.
The principal objectives of this programme are to enable and accelerate the commercial exploitation of technology leading to new products, processes, systems and services; to promote close interaction between industry and the research base.
- Further information about LINK programmes (Defra Farming and Food Science website)
- The AgricultureLINK newsletter contains more information on the four Defra-led LINK agricultural programmes, including the Sustainable Livestock Production programme.
The aim of the Defra funded initiative was to provide technical support to the agricultural industry. The livestock element includes support for the egg and poultry sectors. A website was formed to provide farmers and industry access to technical information that will help them to improve their profitability. The programme focused on consultation with industry to identify technical issues currently facing smaller farm businesses and to implement effective strategies through knowledge transfer programme to address them.
- Further information about Livestock Knowledge Transfer (this project is now unsupported and the content of this website will no longer be updated)
The BEMB Trust is a registered charity that funds research into the production of hen and duck eggs in the UK.
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- British Egg Information Service
- Food Standards Agency
- Roslin Institute
- British Poultry Science - (a Taylor & Francis journal)
- World's Poultry Science Association
Page last modified: 21 July 2009
Page published: 21 July 2009