ARCHIVE: Quota management: Fixed quota allocations
Fixed quota allocations formally came into operation in January 1999. For details of implementation rules, see MAFF letter of 11 June 1998 (PDF 40 KB). Quotas are allocated in proportion to the number of FQA units held by the vessels in membership of each group on 1 January of each quota year. These units, with one or two exceptions, reflect the catches made by fishing vessels during the reference period 1994 to 1996. For vessels over 10 metres the units are associated with individual vessel licences and normally move with the licence when it is transferred or aggregated onto another vessel. For vessels under 10 metres there is a single block of units based on the aggregated activity of that part of the fleet during the 1994 to 1996 reference period.
The objectives underlying the introduction of FQAs were:
- greater year on year stability in managing quotas
- less pressure on fishermen and POs to maintain their track records by utilising their full quota allocations
- a disincentive to "paper" or "ghost" fishing
- the ability to swap or gift quota without suffering a reduction in future quota allocations
- facilitating investment in the fleet by ensuring track records could be retained whilst vessels were being replaced or modernised
- the more rapid issue of quota allocations.
Alongside the process of decommissioning and the transfer of FQA units from decommissioned vessels, Ministers decided that the owners of all vessels over 10 metres in PO membership should have the opportunity of adjusting the holdings of FQA units associated with their licences to take account of permanent transfers of quota that may have occurred before 8 October 2001. Such adjustments will need to be self-balancing and will be open to all over 10 metre vessels in PO membership.
The detailed rules that apply for the allocation of quotas are reviewed by UK Fisheries Administrations each year each year through a consultation process with the UK fishing industry.
- Rules for 2008 (PDF 316 KB)
- Statistics on quota uptake (link to MMO website)
Page last modified: 4 March 2009
Page published: 14 December 2007