ARCHIVE: e-Digest Statistics about: Radioactivity
The value given in the table 'Exposure of the population from all sources of radiation' for occupational exposure is the collective dose received by radiation workers averaged over the total UK population. The legal dose limit for adult whole-body exposure is currently 20 mSv/year, but in 1997 the average annual dose for occupationally exposed workers was 1.6 mSv with very few workers receiving doses exceeding 15 mSv. There has been a definite and sustained downwards trend in doses since 1986, for example, the average annual dose in the nuclear industry was around 0.6 mSv in 1997, compared with 2 mSv to 3 mSv in the 1980s , .
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has a national database of occupational exposure. Approved Dosimetry Services supply annually to the database summaries of radiation doses recorded for employees designated as classified persons in Great Britain . Statistical summaries are published annually and analyses of trends have been published for the periods 1986 to 1991  and 1990 to 1996 . In general, the data demonstrate a sustained reduction in doses since 1986.
- Key Facts:
- Artificial sources
- Occupational radiation
- Direct shine
|1||Exposure of the population from all sources of radiation|
- References, further reading and links to other resources:
-  Hughes, J S, National Radiological Protection Board (1999). Ionising Radiation Exposure of the UK Population: 1999 Review, NRPB-R311. TSO.
-  Hughes, J S, National Radiological Protection Board (1996). Trends in occupational exposure within the UK civil nuclear industry. Nuclear Energy, Vol 35 No 4. NRPB.
-  Health and Safety Executive (2002). Central Index of Dose Information - Summary of Statistics for 2001. HSE Unit HDB6.
-  Health and Safety Executive (1991). Occupational exposure to ionising radiation 1986-1991. Analysis of doses reported to the Health and Safety Executive's Central Index of Dose Information. HSE TD4.
-  Health and Safety Executive (1998). Occupational exposure to ionising radiation 1990-1996. Analysis of doses reported to the Health and Safety Executive's Central Index of Dose Information. HSE TD4
- Health and Safety Executive: information on radiation doses
- Internet Links:
- National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB)
- National Dose Assessments Working Group (NDAWG)
Your questions and comments about information presented on this page are welcome. Contact information and Email . Copyright of data and/or information presented or attached in this document may not reside solely with this Department. Please see guidance on Copyright.
Page last modified: 16 September 2003
Page published: 10 September 2003