ARCHIVE: Legislation, policy, regulation and guidance
Defra is responsible for setting legislation, policy, regulations and guidance for a number of environmental issues. There are also several European and international laws and policies that apply.
Use these links to read more, or find out who implements our policies.
Air and water quality, and flooding
- Air quality regulations
- Water legislation
- Water framework directive (European Commission)
- Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009
- Flood and Water Management Bill
- EU Habitats and Birds Directives
- Planning Policy Statement 9 on Biological and Geological Conservation
Local environment and noise
Chemicals and genetic modification
Waste and recycling
Page last modified: 5 March 2010