ARCHIVE: Fairer and better environmental enforcement legislation
Legislation making civil sanctions available to the Environment Agency, in England and Natural England came into force on 6 April 2010, following debates in both Houses of Parliament.
- The Environmental Civil Sanctions (England) Order 2010 (PDF, OPSI website)
- The Environmental Civil Sanctions (Miscellaneous Amendments) (England) Regulations 2010 (PDF, OPSI website)
- Final Impact Assessment (PDF 249 KB)
The Welsh Assembly Government plans legislation that would enable Environment Agency to use civil sanctions in Wales. This legislation is expected to follow shortly.
Government guidance on how regulators will use the civil sanctions has been published by Defra and the Welsh Assembly Government.
- Joint Defra/WAG Guidance (PDF 735 KB)
There is a short version for those only seeking brief overview.
- Joint Defra/WAG Guidance Short Guide (PDF 793 KB)
The civil sanctions were available under the Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions Act 2008, which requires regulators to consult on, and publish revised enforcement policies and detailed guidance before the sanctions may be used. Environment Agency began a twelve week public consultation in mid-February 2010. Environment Agency’s revised enforcement policy and guidance is expected to be published by late summer 2010.
Page last modified: 24 May 2010