ARCHIVE: Review of marine nature conservation
On 8 December 2005 the four administrations within the UK published “Safeguarding Sea Life” the joint UK response to the Review of Marine Nature Conservation.
- Safeguarding Sea Life: the joint UK response to the Review of Marine Nature Conservation (PDF 478 KB)
The response sets out our shared policies for marine biodiversity in the context of our shared approach to sustainable development. Our focus is on the conservation of marine ecosystems alongside thriving marine industries and the communities that rely on them.
The response is in two parts, the first setting out our broad policies and the second setting out what this means in relation to each of the review's key recommendations. The four administrations are already carrying out much of the work recommended in the review.
The first section of the response:
- Confirms our commitment to working towards our vision of clean, healthy, safe, productive, and biologically diverse oceans and seas
- Recognises that government needs to manage human activities in the marine area based on a better understanding of marine ecosystems and their environmental limits
- Affirms our commitment to developing networks of marine protected areas to conserve marine biodiversity
- Sets out new strategic goals for marine nature conservation
- Outlines a new holistic approach to meeting these, based on the development of marine ecosystem objectives
- Describes how the four administrations will use wider marine management regimes, including spatial planning, to help meet our objectives.
Some of these policies may need legislative underpinning in the UK Marine Act.
A Partial Regulatory Impact Assessment was commissioned by Defra to consider the costs and benefits associated with the policies set out in the joint response.
- Partial Regulatory Impact Assessment of the Joint Response to the Review of Marine Nature Conservation: Safeguarding Sea Life (PDF 154 KB)
The Review of Marine Nature Conservation published its report to Government on 26 July 2004 detailing its investigation and recommendations for improving protection for marine habitats and species in the UK maritime area.
- RMNC Report to Government - Summary (PDF 400 KB)
- RMNC Report to Government - Full report (PDF 2 MB - note large file size)
Copies of the response, the Working Group report to Government and the
summary of that report are available from:
London SW1A 2XX
Tel: 08459 556000
Please quote PB 11298 (response) PB 9714 (full report) or PB 9714a (report summary).
- Irish sea pilot scheme
- Scottish sustainable marine environment initiative
- Natural England research reports
Page last modified: 7 March 2007