ARCHIVE: Adaptation across Government
Climate change affects all areas of our lives and the Government has made taking action a priority.
On 31st March 2010, Government departments published Departmental Adaptation Plans, setting out their key risks and priorities on climate change, and Carbon Reduction Delivery Plans (work led by Department of Energy and Climate Change). Departments were encouraged to take a joint approach and some have produced combined Climate Change plans.
The Adapting to Climate Change Programme is leading work across Government to prepare for our changing climate, including coordinating and driving delivery of the Departmental Adaptation Plans. “Climate Change: Taking Action” was produced jointly with DECC to set out the context and purpose of the plans and provide a coherent message on what Government is collectively doing to tackle climate change.
Defra also published a supplement which looks at the impact climate change will have on our natural resources and the services we get from them; and seeks to stimulate debate about how we should approach adaptation to climate change in the natural environment.
In this section you can find out more about how each department is adapting, and see:
- how the policies and services of each department may potentially be affected by climate change
- what they have already done to help ensure that their services to the public continue to be effective
- what their priorities are around adapting to climate change going forward
- where you can find more information about what they are doing.
Please select a department to find out about their work on adaptation, and download their plan.
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Cabinet Office
- Communities and Local Government
- Department for Children Schools and Families
- Department for Culture Media and Sport
- Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for International Development
- Department of Health
- Department for Transport
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Forestry Commission
- HM Treasury
- Home Office
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Justice
- The role of Government
- The workstreams in the Adapting to Climate Change Programme
- The principles guiding the Government's Programme
- Adaptation internationally
- Adaptation in the UK
- Getting the Government systems in order
- Measuring the success of the Programme
Page last modified: 6 April 2010
Page published: 24 July 2008