What is this about?
- It tells you about Defra’s scheme [plan of action] to help disabled and Deaf people.
- How we will look at what we do. Check we do not discriminate [treat someone worse because of who they are].
- And how we will check we are doing things right in future.
- We want everyone to be treated fairly.
- This scheme is for our staff and service users.
- Many deaf people do not see themselves as ‘disabled’. They are people with their own language - which is British Sign Language (BSL). Deaf with a capital D is a way of describing this.
We know that discrimination can be worse for disabled and Deaf people because of their:
- race or background;
- gender – male or female;
- sexual orientation [have partners of the same or different sex]; or
- religion or belief.